Last year Hay sponsors the Guardian had a House of Hay…literally a house, made of hay, at Hay. Genious. Actually it was very good, it doubled as a base for journalists and as a host venue to intimate chats with said same. Last year I sheltered from the rain and had a very fine organised natter with Emily Bell.
This year there is a Yurt instead and it troubles me for a variety of reasons:
- It’s not really a Yurt it’s a bell tent with scatter cushions.*
- There are no events – seemingly no possibility of engagement with the august organ.
- It is ambiguous, the inviting carpets and cushions suggest relaxation but can anyone go in or is it just for Guardianistas?
- Even Sarfraz Manzoor appears to prefer Ascaris.
- C’est un peu pretentious, non?